Today

The Little Princes

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Being a good "Corporate Citizen"

It has been ages since I had done anything for the Community, so I guess its about time. We were to spend the evening accompanying elderly folk to the Chinese Garden to enjoy the mid-Autumn festivities. Things didn't really get off to a good start as there were some work committments to be sorted out before going. So ended up driving to the restaurant where the elderly folks were having their dinner (and getting slightly lost along the way). General_

The dinner was nothing to shout about. There were 6 elderly at our table with 4 volunteers. 2 uncles and 4 aunties, with one of the uncles dominating the conversation at the table. Was able to speak to him as well as 2 of the aunties who were surprised that I can speak Cantonese at this day and age. They were complaining that all their grandchildren can't even understand their own dialect.

After dinner was the "stroll" through the Chinese Gardens. Personally, I felt that we were "tekaning" the old folks, making them walk round the dark, hazy, hot, stuffy and crowded place. Hopefully some of them enjoyed themselves.

It was a challenge trying to take photos in the dark environment, handheld, and with a point and shoot camera. Furthermore I was a little "sianz 1/2" cos I thot I had lost my wallet (which was found later in my car after the event). Some passable photos of the event are available HERE.

Anyway, the best part was reaching home and getting a nice hot shower. Looks like I'm not really cut out to be a good volunteer, but hey at least I tried ...

3 comments:

I, Cactus said...

Patience is the word.
This is not exactly an ideal way of starting volunteer work, in hazy, crowded and hot environment.

But if you can spend more time with the elderly regularly and hear them talk or talk to them, you will rewarded.

Imagine being very stressed and tired and being rewarded with their unconditional smile. Or them hearing your woes.

KooshKing said...

I guess I do not have the patience to be a regular volunteer. But I am ok doing it once in a while.

Eh, "them hearing your woes", is this supposed to be therapeautic or meaningful for them?

I, Cactus said...

Sometimes they don't even understand what you are talking about.

Doing volunteer work is a calling in itself. If you are not ready, you are not ready, cannot force.

But everything has a 1st time. So i always encourage pple to try. Dunno about others but i find doing volunteer work theurapeutic for me. At least it relieves me momentarily of my own problems.

And looking at them, you will realise that you are very fortunate and in that sense you will "kan kai" more.

I thought i will try it out for a while last time too but when you see their smiles every Sat when you go down to the Centre/school, it's addictive. You will keep going down to "receive" such smiles. It's their way of acknowledging your effort and presence and it's a sense of achievement and satisfaction for me too.

Of coz i am talking more about my experience with the Intellectually disabled but the same should apply to any other groups.